To prepare spice mix, combine first 6 ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
To prepare fish, combine mahimahi, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; toss well. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of fish; cook 5 minutes or until fish is lightly browned and flakes easily when tested with a fork (do not overcook). Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining fish and oil.
To prepare sauce, add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add ginger, garlic, and bay leaf; sauté 2 minutes. Add ground spice mix; cook 2 minutes. Stir in water, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar. Remove pan from heat; gradually stir in yogurt. Cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Return fish and accumulated juices to pan. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or just until heated. Discard bay leaf.
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried hot red chiles
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 1/4 pounds mahimahi, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt