New Market is a market in Kolkata situated on Lindsay Street at Free School Street (Mirza Ghalib Street). Although primarily “New Market” referred to the original enclosed market, today in local parlance, the entire shopping area is often known as “New Market”.
Its sprawling maze of shops offering almost everything imaginable. It can be crowded and chaotic but if you’re after a bargain, or even just an unforgettable experience, it’s not to be missed.
- Incredible variety of goods.
- Cheap prices.
- Great for bargain shopping.
- Can get crowded and hot.
- Very dirty and smelly in parts.
- Pickpockets and beggars operate in the area.
- Fake items are sold, and can be hard to determine the quality.
- Situated on Lindsay Street, Kolkata (Calcutta), just off Chowringhee Road.
- Open 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday to Friday, and until 2.30 p.m. on Saturday. It’s closed on Sunday.
- Over 2,000 shops.